Join our team!
Dear person full of awesomeness
TEDx events are locally organized TED events executed in the spirit of “Ideas worth spreading”. The current TEDxUppsalaUniversity organization is a few hands short and is thus looking to fill the following positions:
- Event Coordinator
- Marketing Coordinator
- Speaker Coordinator
- Art Director
- Surprise us! What do you want to bring to the table?
2016 organizing team
What we offer
The next event will take place sometime during fall/winter 2017 and we would love you make you a part of our team. In exchange for your hands and brain we’re offering you:
- Access to people who, just like you, want to be a part of something bigger than themselves.
- An opportunity to learn. Sure, we love it if you already a skill and we’ll make use of that too but we love it even more if you come to us and say “I’ve always wanted to try…” Enthusiasm and spirit is key!
- A place to grow. TEDx means hard work and you’ll fail, disappoint and kill your darlings (if you’re not failing you’re not aiming high enough). However, we offer you a caring environment where you’ll be encouraged to raise again, high-fived when you finally reach your breakthroughs and support you in challenging your fears.
But nothing comes for free in life and the TEDxUppsalaUniversity organization need you to fulfil the following criteria:
You need to be communicative
We’re not primarily looking for extroverts (just to make that clear), but we need you to be able to communicate your ideas, reply to e-mails, check Slack (our online communication system) and answer phone calls – or at least call back. Attendance at physical meetings can be negotiated.
Want to learn
You’ll be expected to look for information in your own initiative. Don’t know how to do social media marketing? Google it! Didn’t get a good nomination for an art speaker? Time to go head-hunting! Who can offer affordable food for 130 people? Better lift the phone and start calling!
Do you think you’ll move abroad in half a year? If you got something cool to bring to the table we can still make it work as long as we communicate but we do need people that can stay. Preferably even for more than one TEDx event. By working with TEDx you become part of a worldwide community and we love knowledge sharing, so please don’t take your knowledge and run. Sharing is caring.
Feel an urge to help out
We don’t stand around and watch as a team member is drowning in work. We’re there for each other and this implies that the words “can I help out?” must come naturally for you.
Please apply with a short (1 page) personal letter to . The letter should contain the following information (and you don’t need to send us a photo. Awesomeness doesn’t have gender, age or ethnicity):
- How do you spend your days? Work? Studies? Other commitments?
- Why do you want to be a part of the TEDxUppsalaUniversity team and what position(s) are you interested in? We know that TED is a cool brand and everything so just cut straight to the core and be brutally personal
- Tell us the three things you like the most about yourself! Bullet points will do!
- What two skills that you would like to develop while creating TEDxUppsalaUniversity 2017?
- Briefly describe how you think we should deal with team members that don’t do what they’ve promised.
- How many hours a week would you like to spend on TEDx? There is no right or wrong answer here. We’ll be able to adapt the work load to a large extent so be realistic.
Click to toggle description
As Event Coordinator you’ll be in charge of:
- Finding a venue
- Negotiate contracts
- Make sure our guests get delicious food
- Decorating the venue (and the stage!)
- Create a mind-blowing space for our guests to meet
- Recruiting volunteers
- And plenty of small things like name badges and snacks
As Speaker Coordinator you’ll work with our current speaker team in:
- Designing the nomination process
- Do background checks of potential speakers,
- Interview plenty of interesting people
- Tell plenty of interesting people “no”
- Make sure that our stage has a good balance in terms of age, gender, topics, ethnicity etc…
- Be in contact with/find a moderator
- Support the speakers in developing their talks from drafts to TED-talks
- Arrange a rhetoric workshop for the speakers
Our Marketing Coordinator will:
- Develop an overarching media strategy that incorporates social media and traditional
- Make sure that important information gets posted on FB, LinkedIn, our webpage etc…
- Actively create and collect content for the webpage and social media
- Support the Art Director in developing a graphic profile that goes with the theme
- Reply to questions regarding the event online
- Be responsible for making sure that we follow the graphic profile developed by TED in all our material
- Be responsible for setting up a ticket sales process
- Coordinate with sponsors
- Manage distribution of physical items such as posters
- Prepare and distribute press releases
- Suggest ways we can cooperate with other organizations within the spirit of TED and within the TED rules
The Graphics Coordinator, also known as Master of Good Taste, will be responsible for:
- Develop a unique graphic profile for TEDxUppsalaUniversity 2017 in line with the chosen theme that goes with the general TED profile
- Develop all graphic material throughout the year (posters, tickets, banners, folders, t-shirts, backdrops you name it!)